Raleigh | Smithfield | Charlotte | Orlando | Goldsboro

What Information Is Needed to Apply for an Immediate Relative Visa?

 Posted on May 18, 2022 in Immigration

FL immigration lawyerPeople living in the United States may be able to sponsor their family members for immigration. While multiple types of family-based visas are available, the fastest and easiest way to sponsor a family member is usually through an immediate relative visa. In these situations, U.S. citizens can provide sponsorship for immediate family members, including their spouses, children, or parents. When applying for an immediate relative visa, family members will need to understand the information that must be provided.

Information Required With a Visa Petition

A person can apply for an immediate relative visa by filing Form I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative). They will also need to provide the following supporting documents:

  • Evidence of their U.S. citizenship - This may include a copy of their birth certificate showing that they were born in the United States, a valid U.S. passport that is not expired, or a copy of their naturalization certificate.
  • Evidence of family relationships - When sponsoring a spouse, a person will need to provide proof of their marriage, including a marriage certificate and, if they had been married before, evidence of the termination of that marriage. They will also need to provide evidence that the marriage is bona fide, such as a lease agreement showing that the couple resides together, documentation of jointly-owned property, birth certificates of children they have together, bank records showing that they have joint accounts, or sworn affidavits from third parties stating that their marriage is valid. When sponsoring a child, a parent can submit a copy of the child’s birth certificate, and when sponsoring a parent, a person can submit a copy of their own birth certificate.
  • Two passport photos.

Information Required When Applying for Adjustment of Status

If an immigrant is eligible for an immediate relative visa, they will also usually qualify for a Green Card. They can apply to become a lawful permanent resident by filing Form I-485 (Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status). The following information will also need to be provided:

  • Copies of the person’s government-issued identification and birth certificate
  • Documentation from immigration officials of the person’s inspection and admission to the United States
  • An Affidavit of Support from the sponsor
  • Police or court records detailing any criminal arrests or convictions
  • If a person is inadmissible to the United States for any reason, an application for a waiver of inadmissibility
  • If a person has previously been deported, an Application for Permission to Reapply for Admission into the United States After Deportation or Removal (Form I-212)

Contact Our Orlando Immediate Relative Visa Lawyer

The process of applying for visas and Green Cards can be complicated, and if any mistakes are made in the documentation provided to immigration officials, this could delay the immigration process or prevent a person from entering the United States or becoming a lawful permanent resident. At Vasquez Law Firm, PLLC, we provide legal help to those who wish to sponsor family members for immigration or others who need to address issues that may affect their ability to live in the U.S. We can answer your questions, help you submit the proper forms and documents, and work to resolve any concerns that you may encounter. To set up a free consultation and get assistance with your case, contact our Orange County immigration visa attorney at 407-955-5000.





Share this post:
des aila aila
Back to Top