Raleigh | Smithfield | Charlotte | Orlando | Goldsboro

Orlando Immigration Lawyer for Victims of Crime or Abuse

Clermont VAWA and U visa attorney

Attorneys Assisting Victims of Domestic Violence and Other Crimes With Visas and Green Cards in Orange County

Immigrants who live in the United States may face the threat of deportation in many different circumstances. Because of this, those who have been the victims of domestic abuse or other crimes may be hesitant to contact law enforcement. Fortunately, there are a number of protections available for crime victims, and they may be able to receive visas that will allow them to continue living in the U.S. When applying for these types of visas or defending against deportation, immigrants will want to work with a lawyer who can help them understand their rights and address any issues that may affect their immigration status.

The attorneys of the Vasquez Law Firm, PLLC have more than 35 years of combined experience with immigration issues and other areas of the law. We work to help our clients understand the types of visas they qualify for, and we assist with the process of applying for Green Cards and resolving any concerns that may arise during an immigration case.

VAWA Green Cards

In most family-based immigration cases, an immigrant will need to receive sponsorship from a family member who is a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident. However, the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) allows immigrants who have been the victims of domestic violence or abuse to file a petition for a Green Card on their own behalf. They can do so by filing a Petition for Amerasian, Widow(er), or Special Immigrant (Form I-360). If this petition is approved, the person can apply for an adjustment of status that will allow them to become a lawful permanent resident.

To be eligible for a Green Card under VAWA, a person must have been the victim of domestic battery or other forms of extreme cruelty committed by a spouse, former spouse, or parent who is a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident or a son or daughter who is a citizen. An applicant must be living in the United States, and they must be eligible for an immigrant visa. Unmarried children of an applicant who are under the age of 21 may also be eligible to apply for Green Cards as derivative family members. If there are any issues that would affect a person's ability to receive an immigrant visa or Green Card, a petitioner may be able to receive a waiver of inadmissibility.

U Visas for Crime Victims

Immigrants who have suffered physical or mental abuse because of criminal activity may be able to continue living in the United States by applying for a U nonimmigrant visa. In these cases, a person must be willing to cooperate with law enforcement during the investigation or prosecution of a crime. Qualifying crimes include:

  • Murder or manslaughter
  • Kidnapping, abduction, or false imprisonment
  • Felony assault
  • Torture
  • Prostitution, sexual exploitation, or human trafficking
  • Sexual assault
  • Blackmail or extortion
  • Stalking
  • Perjury or obstruction of justice

A U visa will be valid for four years. After a person has lived in the United States with U nonimmigrant status for three years, they may apply for a Green Card. A person's spouse, children, parents, or siblings may also apply for U visas, and they will be eligible for Green Cards after living in the United States for three years.

Contact Our Lake Buena Vista Immigration Visa Lawyers

Our attorneys can help you determine whether you qualify for a visa or Green Card as the victim of domestic violence or other crimes. We will help you complete all requirements to ensure that you will be able to live in the United States and remain safe from harm. For a free consultation, contact us at 407-955-5000. We assist with immigration matters in Orange County and cities in Florida, including Daytona Beach, Kissimmee, Tampa, Clermont, Saint Cloud, Oviedo, Windermere, St. Petersburg, Altamonte Springs, Winter Springs, Casselberry, Apopka, Sanford, Ocoee, Leesburg Bay Lake, Lake Buena Vista, Winter Garden, Lake Mary, and Winter Park.

des aila aila
Back to Top