Raleigh | Smithfield | Charlotte | Orlando | Goldsboro

Orlando Immigration Attorney for Fiancé Visas

Lake Buena Vista fiance visa application attorneys

Lawyers Helping U.S. Citizens and Their Fiancés Apply for K Visas in Kissimmee, Casselberry, and Leesburg Bay Lake

When a citizen of the United States plans to get married to a person from a foreign country, they will be able to sponsor their partner for immigration. In these situations, a foreign fiancé can receive a K visa that will allow them to come to the U.S. When applying for this type of visa, a couple will want to make sure to understand the requirements that they will need to meet and the steps they will need to follow to avoid any issues that may affect a fiancé's immigration status. To ensure that these matters will be addressed correctly, a couple will want to work with an experienced attorney throughout the immigration process.

At the Vasquez Law Firm, PLLC, we help families address a wide variety of issues related to immigration. Our team has more than 35 years of combined legal experience, and we work closely with our clients to make sure they understand how the immigration laws apply to them and ensure that family members can immigrate to the United States successfully. In addition to assisting with applications for multiple types of visas, we can help with deportation defense, Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), citizenship, and other immigration-related matters.

Requirements for Immigration Under a K Visa

A U.S. citizen can sponsor a foreign fiancé for a K-1 nonimmigrant visa as long as both spouses are free to get legally married. If either party had previously been married, their marriage must have been legally terminated through divorce, annulment, or the death of their spouse. In most cases, the couple must have met in person within two years prior to applying for a K visa, although this requirement may be waived if it would cause extreme hardship for the citizen or if an in-person meeting would violate the foreign fiancé's cultural customs.

A person may apply for a K-1 visa by filing a Petition for Alien Fiancé(e) (Form I-129F) with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The couple will need to complete the visa application process, which includes submitting required documents and attending a visa interview with a consular officer. Once a K-1 visa is issued, it will be valid for six months. The foreign fiancé may enter the United States before the date the visa expires. After coming to the U.S., the couple must get legally married within 90 days.

After getting married, the foreign spouse may apply for adjustment of status and provide documentation showing that the couple has been legally married. A conditional Green Card will be issued that will be valid for two years. Within 90 days before the expiration of a conditional Green Card, the spouse must file a petition to remove the conditions on permanent residence, and if they fail to do so, they may face deportation. Once the conditions on residence have been removed, a spouse will become a lawful permanent resident, and they will not have any restrictions on their ability to live and work in the United States.

If a foreign fiancé has children, they may be included in an application for a K visa, as long as the children are under the age of 21 and unmarried. A child will receive a K-2 visa, and they may come to the U.S. at the same time as their parent. Once a couple is married, the child may apply for a Green Card.

Contact Our Winter Park Immigration Visa Lawyers

If you are looking to bring your partner to the United States so you can get married, Vasquez Law Firm, PLLC can assist with the visa application process, and we can make sure your partner and their children take the correct steps to receive a Green Card. Contact our office and set up a free consultation by calling 407-955-5000. We assist with visa applications and other immigration issues in Orlando and other cities in Florida, including Winter Park, Lake Buena Vista, Oviedo, Lake Mary, Leesburg Bay Lake, Clermont, Tampa, St. Petersburg, Kissimmee, Windermere, Winter Garden, Daytona Beach, Winter Springs, Sanford, Casselberry, Ocoee, Apopka, Altamonte Springs, and Saint Cloud.

des aila aila
Back to Top