Raleigh | Smithfield | Charlotte | Orlando | Goldsboro

Orlando Adjustment of Status Lawyers

Winter Park Green Card application lawyer for adjustment of status

Attorneys Helping People in the U.S. Become Lawful Permanent Residents in Orlando and Lake Buena Vista

In many cases, a foreign national who is in the United States on a temporary visa may wish to live in the country permanently. To obtain a Green Card, a person may apply for an adjustment of status, which will allow them to change their immigration status from a temporary visitor to a lawful permanent resident. However, a person will need to make sure they are eligible for a Green Card, and they will need to meet certain requirements when submitting an application. Those who are looking to adjust their status and continue living in the U.S. can work with an immigration attorney to ensure they follow the correct steps during this process.

The lawyers at the Vasquez Law Firm, PLLC are well-versed in the complexities of U.S. immigration laws, and we have helped numerous people and families meet their legal requirements when applying for visas or Green Cards. We will help you determine your eligibility for an adjustment of status, and we will assist with filing applications and submitting the required documentation. We can also provide legal help with other matters related to immigration, including waivers of inadmissibility, defense against removal/deportation, and citizenship.

Eligibility for Adjustment of Status

To qualify for an adjustment of status, a person who has a temporary nonimmigrant visa will generally need to be residing in the U.S., and they must have a lawful immigration status. That is, they must have entered the United States legally, and their current visa must not have expired. A person will also need to be eligible for a Green Card, and an immigrant visa will usually need to be immediately available to them. Adjustment of status may be available in situations involving:

  • Immediate relatives - A U.S. citizen's spouse, unmarried minor children, or parents will qualify for IR visas. If these relatives have entered the United States on a nonimmigrant visa, or if a nonimmigrant gets married to a U.S. citizen, the citizen can sponsor them for an immigrant visa and Green Card.
  • Fiancés - A U.S. citizen may apply for a K nonimmigrant visa for a foreign fiancé. After the fiancé comes to the United States and the couple gets married, the immigrant spouse can apply for adjustment of status and receive a conditional Green Card.
  • Refugees/asylees - A person who has been admitted to the United States as a refugee or who has been granted asylum may apply for adjustment of status one year after being granted refugee or asylee status.
  • Crime victims - Family members of U.S. citizens or Green Card holders who have suffered abuse may receive an adjustment of status under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA). Victims of other types of crimes may also be able to receive an adjustment of status by applying for a U visa.

Immigration officials follow what is known as the "90-day rule" when evaluating applications for adjustment of status to ensure that a person does not misrepresent their intentions when coming to the United States. If a person receives a nonimmigrant visa, such as a student visa or a temporary work visa, and they apply for an adjustment of status within 90 days after entering the U.S., this will usually provide officials with a reason to deny their application and revoke their current visa. Even beyond the 90-day window, officials may deny a person's application if they believe that the person committed immigration fraud or otherwise attempted to circumvent immigration laws.

Contact Our Clermont Adjustment of Status Attorneys

Our lawyers can help you determine your best options for receiving a Green Card, and we will make sure you follow all of the correct steps throughout the immigration process. Contact us and set up a free consultation by calling 407-955-5000. We provide legal help with immigration cases in Orange County and cities across the state of Florida, including Oviedo, Clermont, Sanford, Daytona Beach, St. Petersburg, Winter Garden, Saint Cloud, Casselberry, Windermere, Ocoee, Lake Buena Vista, Apopka, Winter Springs, Winter Park, Leesburg Bay Lake, Kissimmee, Lake Mary, Tampa, and Altamonte Springs.

des aila aila
Back to Top