Raleigh | Smithfield | Charlotte | Orlando | Goldsboro

Can I Be Deported Because of an Expired Green Card?

 Posted on October 26, 2021 in Immigration

Orlando Green Card lawyersFor foreign citizens who wish to live in the United States, a Green Card is essential. This form of identification shows that a person is a lawful permanent resident, allowing them to live in the U.S., obtain employment, travel freely, and be protected from deportation. However, most Green Cards expire 10 years after they are issued, and immigrants may be concerned about the consequences they may face if they do not complete the renewal process. 

Fortunately, a person’s lawful permanent resident status will not be affected by the expiration of a Green Card in most cases. However, if a person has conditional permanent resident status after entering the United States on a fiancé visa, they will need to file a petition to remove the conditions on residence (Form I-751). Failure to do so may result in a person’s conditional residence status being revoked, which could lead to deportation. 

While most lawful permanent residents will not face deportation for failing to renew their Green Card, they may face a variety of other difficulties once their Green Card expires. Since a valid Green Card is needed for employment, an immigrant may not be able to obtain a new job in the United States, or they may be unable to obtain or renew a professional license that will allow them to work in their chosen career. A person may also be unable to obtain or renew a driver’s license until they have renewed their Green Card.

Traveling inside or outside the U.S. may be more difficult with an expired Green Card. A valid Green Card is required when boarding a commercial flight, so an expired card may result in a person being denied the ability to travel via plane. If a Green Card expires while a person is outside the United States, they may need to obtain special permission before they will be allowed to re-enter the country.

Fortunately, many of these issues can be resolved by renewing a Green Card as soon as possible. A person can apply to renew their Green Card by submitting Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Residence Card, within six months before the expiration date or as soon as possible after expiration. This application may also be submitted if a person’s Green Card is lost or stolen. If an immigrant received a Green Card before they were 14 years old, they will need to file an application for renewal after they turn 14.

Contact Our Orlando Green Card Attorneys

At Vasquez Law Firm, PLLC, we work with immigrants and their family members to address and resolve issues that affect their ability to live in the United States. If you have questions about Green Cards or other immigration-related issues, we can help you understand your rights and options, and we can provide you with legal help to ensure that these issues are addressed correctly. Contact our Orange County immigration lawyers at 407-955-5000 to schedule a free consultation.




Share this post:
des aila aila
Back to Top